forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: suppressing index.html
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 05:44:48 GMT
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:17:03AM -0400, Sergey Missan wrote:
> Hello Jeff,
>
> Wednesday, March 05, 2003, 12:52:01 AM, you wrote:
>
> JT> Is it wrong because the {begin,ch1,ch2}/index.html files don't exist?
> Yes,
> and
>
> JT> If you have a link to 'ch1/', then unless you're planning to give the
> JT> user a directory listing, you'll have to serve a real file. Typically
> JT> 'ch1/' redirects to 'ch1/index.html'.  If Cocoon generated that file, why
> JT> wouldn't it be in the menu, and therefore be highlighted?
>
> this is because different directories may have different index files
> -- it may be .shtml, .jsp, etc. It's confusing for user to have
> different index files in different cases, much better to have
> /-trailing urls (consistent), and let http server sort the mess.
>

> JT> If so, then there is an easyish fix: prevent the Cocoon command-line from
> JT> trying to render the links to directories (and adding 'index.html').
>
> I tried that and no luck (yet). I'll try again and give you a sensible
> (hopefully) test case on all these issues.

I've found the best way to debug these "is Cocoon crawling the link"
problems is to launch the site as a webapp ('forrest run'), and then
request pages with ?cocoon-view=links.

> JT> So the question is whether the problem is with the Cocoon command-line,
> JT> or the Forrest stylesheets.
> probably both. Cocoon adds (unnecessary) index.html-s, but it looks like
> forrest stylesheets expect a filename in the urls, or they wont work
> properly (test case is how forrest determines current document and
> adds a sel. style to it in the menu).

The Forrest menu is baked into the pages it links to.  If you want a menu
link 'ch/' to link to 'ch/index.jsp', presumably index.jsp will be
responsible to rendering the menu, not Forrest.

--Jeff