forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Dynamic sitemaps
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:34:24 GMT
On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:34:20AM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >At the moment, <map:mount>'s src attribute doesn't allow for arbitrary
> >Sources, but I imagine that could be fixed.
>
> When I hear 'dynamic sitemap', all my FS alarms go off.

:) Think of it this way: the resource-exists action is an evil blight on
sitemaps everywhere.  Actions are the equivalent of <if> tasks in Ant.
The solution I'm proposing is similar to Myrmidon's answer to <if>;
"unroll" the complexity by adopting a two-step process:

1) Evaluate all conditionals, and generate a simple static script/sitemap
2) Run the generated script/sitemap.

Isn't that cleaner than having switches and if-then-elses that sprout in
any non-trivial sitemap?  Is there a better solution on the horizon?

> >Thoughts?
>
> This said, why don't you use the XConfTool that Cocoon uses in its build
> to append pipelines in the sitemap at build time?
>
> This is how I'm probably going to do samples build for Cocoon 2.1, it's
> hacky, I know, but it's a step forward and cocoon blocks in Cocoon 2.2
> will solve the issues completely.

It sounds to me like blocks are to Cocoon what Centipede Cents are to
Ant: a packaging and assembly system. They do not relieve the need for
conditional behaviour in sitemaps.

> Please, don't go down the dynamic sitemap path, it's the road to a hell.

In Ant's case, the road to hell is paved with Jelly ;)  There are far
worse solutions than to dynamically build and mount a sitemap with
Cocoon.  If you know of any _better_ solutions, I'm all ears.

--Jeff

(hoping James S isn't reading.. Jelly is cool in the same way Perl is
cool;)