forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: Stop menu generation
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:11:17 GMT
Good morning,

I have no problem with modes in IE6. I use client-side transforms to render my
site.xml as a nav tree in the LSB tool. It's slick. I don't render it to pure
HTML, rather HTML with the site.xml XML mixed in. Then I use CSS like:

lsb\:page_conf {
display:block;
margin-left:10px;
color:navy;
font-weight:bold;
white-space: nowrap;
}

So you can use pure XML if you want (with namespaces). You just have to escape
the namespace colon in the CSS.

> That said, I agree with Konstantin about having the client render the
> stylesheet if possible;  Anything the server can safely pass on to the
> client for processing is always a good thing IMHO.

The only problem is if the the client does not allow activeX to run. I have it
turned off except for a few trusted sites. So even if you do browser detection,
you have to check if the the browser will use the activeX (msxml).

If they do accept it there are even cooler things you can with the MSXML SOM
(Schema Object Model), such as make a schema driven editor.

best,
-Rob