forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: Stop menu generation
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:54:45 GMT

If you want the XSL et al, let me know.

Are you using

var source = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0");

or

var source = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.3.0");

I am using v4. It is much better performance-wise than v3. v4 is the one that
has the SOM (XML Schema - XSD). v3 works with MS's XDR schema.

> >>That said, I agree with Konstantin about having the client render the
> >>stylesheet if possible;  Anything the server can safely pass on to the
> >>client for processing is always a good thing IMHO.
> >>

> >The only problem is if the the client does not allow activeX to run.
> >

> You don't need ActiveX enabled to process an XML file with a stylesheet
> processing instruction -- only "advanced" client-side scripting
> (sometimes) requires this.  If the ActiveX control is already on the
> system, default installations make no security check.

Yes, default installations. But if you (the user) set security to high it won't
work.

> >I have it
> >turned off except for a few trusted sites. So even if you do browser
> detection,
> >you have to check if the the browser will use the activeX (msxml).
> >
> >If they do accept it there are even cooler things you can with the MSXML SOM
> >(Schema Object Model), such as make a schema driven editor.
> >

> Cool info.  My fear of course is the proliferation of editors that are
> very little more than a thin layer on top of XML.  To be honest, I've
> never really considered the parsing of schema files to be the biggest
> roadblock.  Sure they help keep your document well-formed and valid, but
> they're not really useful for people unfamiliar with XML and/or familiar
> with standard text editors.  As a counterexample, I think Bitflux is
> wonderful is this regard, but their support for namespaces and WebDAV is
> seriously missed at the moment.

With IE you can use XMLHTTP object to do PROPFIND, PUT etc. - no CHECKIN,
CHECKOUT, though. You don't even have to refresh you page with this object
because you can POST, GET, PUT all behind the scenes (automated save, for
example) - kind of like how MACR Flash does it.

Our first editor was trying to do everything with JS to manage validity. It did
not work well (validity-wise), but the users loved it. We have gone to schema
driven (wysiwyg) editing. I worry about the restrictiveness of this, but the old
way was hell. The SOM is a godsend. Plus, with Office 11 coming out with support
for XML Schemas the user can edit in Word or on the web and check it in through
the LSB tool. People will want(???) to use this type of editing. I have pretty
much dumped RNG schemas for XSD simply because of Office 11.

I guess I'll stop now since I am going to far offtopic.

best,
-Rob