forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Site.xml questions.
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:59:59 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote, On 25/02/2003 23.44:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Berin Loritsch wrote, On 25/02/2003 22.33:
>>
>>> The site.xml is too abstract for me to get my head around.  I need some
>>> help understanding how the site.xml relates to the menus for tabs.
>>
>> Simple, they are not related.
>
> That is confusing.  They look like they should be.

Actually someone implied that we should unite the two in a single file.
It was a nice discussion, unfortunately it got sidetracked for now...

>>> Also, I find it anoying that the full Site.xml menu is rendered for the
>>> first level pages.  Is there any way to suppress that behavior?
>>
>> Enhance the skin.
>
> Instructions?
>
> I have already some changes to the skin to make my site structure
> unique.  The thing about the root menu is how do you know what
> belongs there?  Currently Forrest is a "black box" in my mindset.
> I want to keep it as black box as possible.
>
> What I want is the root menu to exclude anything that is a tab.
> You can't do that unless the site and tab XML files have a definite
> relationship.
>
> Can you post an example of how I would exclude site nodes that
> relate to a tab?  Or at lest point me in the right direction?

Currently going to a subdir will show on the left only the part of
site.xml related to that dir. Make the tab point to a dir...

Another solution, more elaborate but doable, is to work on the site2html
stylesheet. This stylesheet has access to both the tabs and the menu, so
with some xpath you can exclude menu parts base on tabs.
In the krysalis skin there is an inverse thing done: we enhance the menu
on the left with the section titles of the document.

>>> I will
>>> be having some project specific documentation in connection with a main
>>> site, so I want everything to blend nicely.  I am not seeing how this
>>> can be done without using the old book.xml format--which I would rather
>>> not do.  HOwever it is not convenient to have to manage my menu in a
>>> global context to have my local content rendered.
>>
>> Could you please expand on this?
>
> Ok, I have a new project called "d-haven" at SourceForge.  I want it to
> host some sub projects related to building a developer collaboration
> portal.  I am using Forrest to get started on the docs.  I want the
> sub projects to manage the xdocs local to the sub project CVS structure,
> yet be accessible via a tab (there are only a minimal number of planned
> projects).
>
> In that respect it is similar to the way Avalon is set up--but I don't
> want to use the old book.xml if I can help it.

I think I get it.

Well, ATM the "solution" would be to make each subproject an indipendent
forrest site and link in the tabs using http urls. The problem is here
that you will loose common menus... what about adding xinclude
capability to site.xml? How do you build all the docs... would xinclude
help?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -