forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Site.xml questions.
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:44:49 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote, On 25/02/2003 22.33:
>
>> The site.xml is too abstract for me to get my head around.  I need some
>> help understanding how the site.xml relates to the menus for tabs.
>

> Simple, they are not related.

That is confusing.  They look like they should be.

>> I have the enclosed site.xml and tabs.xml files, but when I generate my
>> site, I get nothing in the menu for the tabs.
>

> In the tabs you define that the tabs refer directories, for example
> guiapp. In the site you define guiapp as a link.
>
> So the tab links to the guiapp dir, but in site.xml there is no link to
> the guiapp dir...

Someone pointed out that error, and that fixed the initial problem I
was having.

>> Also, I find it anoying that the full Site.xml menu is rendered for the
>> first level pages.  Is there any way to suppress that behavior?
>

> Enhance the skin.

Instructions?

I have already some changes to the skin to make my site structure
unique.  The thing about the root menu is how do you know what
belongs there?  Currently Forrest is a "black box" in my mindset.
I want to keep it as black box as possible.

What I want is the root menu to exclude anything that is a tab.
You can't do that unless the site and tab XML files have a definite
relationship.

Can you post an example of how I would exclude site nodes that
relate to a tab?  Or at lest point me in the right direction?

>> I will
>> be having some project specific documentation in connection with a main
>> site, so I want everything to blend nicely.  I am not seeing how this
>> can be done without using the old book.xml format--which I would rather
>> not do.  HOwever it is not convenient to have to manage my menu in a
>> global context to have my local content rendered.
>

> Could you please expand on this?

Ok, I have a new project called "d-haven" at SourceForge.  I want it to
host some sub projects related to building a developer collaboration
portal.  I am using Forrest to get started on the docs.  I want the
sub projects to manage the xdocs local to the sub project CVS structure,
yet be accessible via a tab (there are only a minimal number of planned
projects).

In that respect it is similar to the way Avalon is set up--but I don't
want to use the old book.xml if I can help it.