forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: avalon-phoenix... sitemap.xmap] Disable link traversing
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:28:09 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 23/02/2003 2.38:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 12:19:20AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jeff, it seems that there is a real need for this. More than once it has
>>been pointed out to me, but I have yet failed to grasp the real need.
>
> It's pretty simple: links to anything 'outside' Forrest (like
> not-yet-generated Javadocs) break.  The 'real need' is that people don't
> want Forrest controlling the whole URI space.  They want to manually (or
> with Ant) merge docs from multiple sources, one of which is Forrest.
>
>>Could you please explain it a bit? It seems to me that it should be in
>>Forrest proper, and I'd like to make it into a more generic feature.
>
> Yes it should be.  Probably the CLI should be pointed to a list of URI
> prefixes that are not to be traversed.

I usually said: who cares, let the link break and overwrite the error
page. Or not make the error page come out with the CLI (working on it).
The fact is that (IIUC) those pages are not broken, and should not be
treated as such.

Ok, since I'm also looking into the resourceMap (the source version of
the linkmap), I'll see if it can be merged into this.

>>Also, I'll write here a couple of points that I forgot to follow up on:
>>
>> o  Cocoon should not generate an error page for the falied links;
>>    if we deploy it, a linkchecker would not find broken links,
>>    which is obviously wrong
>
> True
>
>> o We should have an online and offline mode for the linkmap, so that
>>   a semantic link changes wether the user is online or offline
>
> If all the paths are relative, why should it matter whether the user is
> offline or online?

Good question.

The fact is that with Avalon, we want the online docs to reference the
Gump javadocs, while reference the statically generated ones in the
local documentation.

Maybe it's a wrong solution to the need, any other ideas?

Example in site.xml:

     <javadocs label="Javadocs"
               offline="javadocs/index.html"
               href="http://nagoya.apache.org/gump/javadocs/somewhere"/>