forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@geekspeak.org>
Subject Re: Stop menu generation
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:26:55 GMT
Konstantin Piroumian wrote:

>You know that IE 5+ can transform XML itself, so having pure XML output with
>linked stylesheets would reduce the bandwith (I bother for my GPRS
>connection fee mainly ;) ). The stylesheets could be cached, so the browser
>would get only pure content as XML and transform to HTML as if it were on
>the server-side (IMO, this would be possible, cause there are no Cocoon
>specific things in stylesheets, e.g. aggregation or dynamic generation).

Bear in mind that IE5.x supports a working draft of the XSLT spec and
not the final 1999 spec.  If you are going to pass a stylesheet to the
client and you want to support IE5 in this manner, you will have to make
two different stylesheets with markedly different semantics.  To my
knowledge, IE 6.0 does support the final spec, but I've noticed some
variance from the spec in my testing.  So far, everything works except
for template modes (<xsl:template match="foo" mode="bar">).  Perhaps I
have a bug somewhere, but Xalan runs it fine.  As I'm not using any
Xalan-specific constructs, I'm left with the items that broke IE (and
Mozilla's XSLT engine).  If anyone has any other experience with this,
I'd love to hear about it.

That said, I agree with Konstantin about having the client render the
stylesheet if possible;  Anything the server can safely pass on to the
client for processing is always a good thing IMHO.

Attached is the stylesheet I use to do this and it is used like this in
the sitemap:

        <map:transform type="xslt" src="processing-instruction.xsl">
          <map:parameter name="stylesheet" value="normallyonserver.xsl"/>
        </map:transform>

- Miles