forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:56:52 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 10/02/2003 16.19:
> Hi,
>
> I've placed distributions of what I've optimistically titled 0.4-RC1 at
> http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/releases/0.4/
>
> Since 0.3, Forrest has accumulated a number of important bug fixes:
> I am keen to get another release out, because I can feel the pressure
> building to upgrade Cocoon, update DTDs, update skins, and otherwise kill
> backwards-compat :)

hehehe

I agree we should release. Just a question. On my HD I have ready the
docbook4.1 DTD in catalog, docbook working (not perfect but it renders),
and xinclude enabled. These will be needed to render the Avalon site.

Now, I don't like tieing (how do you spell it?) a (non)release to a
user, so it's not really a necessity. Avaloners ATM are able to get
Forrest from CVS.

Just wanted to know if others think it's better to release quickly and
integrate, or wait a week to put in these things and test a bit.

I'm fine with either... I always use HEAD ;-)

> A lot of skin modification has occurred.  Could people please check that
> the skins render okay in their browser:

Yup, please do.

> forrest-site skin:
>   http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/index.html
>
> krysalis-site skin:
>   http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/ws-site/index.html
>   http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest-krysalis/index.html
>
> avalon-tigris skin:
>   Only online example is avalon-site, which is currently dying with an
>   interesting error:
>
> Setup... done.
> Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
>   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StackOverflowError
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.ExtendedXLinkPipe.simpleLink(ExtendedXLinkPipe.java:131)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.LinkTranslator.simpleLink(LinkTranslator.java:84)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.XLinkPipe.startElement(XLinkPipe.java:124)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.ExtendedXLinkPipe.simpleLink(ExtendedXLinkPipe.java:131)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.LinkTranslator.simpleLink(LinkTranslator.java:84)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.XLinkPipe.startElement(XLinkPipe.java:124)
>
>   Perhaps a self-referencing link?  I've verified that the skin works on
>   other sites though.

I get it too, but it's not a skin issue, it does it on forrest-site skin
too.  %-)

> I'm sure a few small issues will turn up in the next day or so (for
> example, krysalis-site internal links still have those generate-id()
> fragment identifiers).  Hopefully we can fix these without another RC.
>
> Feedback, thoughts etc. welcome..
>

> --Jeff
>

> [1] http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-29
> [2] http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=10048
> [3] Btw, a useful way to abuse this mechanism is for adding a URL to the
> document source in the PDF footer:
> <credit role="pdf">
>   <name></name>
>   <url>http://www.mysite.com/thisfile.pdf</url>