forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Xinclude and (in)validation
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:32:38 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote, On 07/02/2003 23.31:
> J.Pietschmann wrote, On 07/02/2003 23.28:
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>> Problem: one big file :-(
>>> Now, how do I split it?
>> Plain old XML entities? :-)
> <banging the head>
> Sometimes the simple way is just too near to see ;-)

And then when you try it it hits you harder than the initial bangign ;-)

Gosh, I tried that too but failed *miserably*.

This is the reason [1]:
The basic problem is that in order to put a SYSTEM entity
declaration in a chapter file to include its sections, the
chapter file must have a DOCTYPE declaration to permit
adding an internal subset.  But then the chapter file is
referenced as a SYSTEM entity from the book file.
Then you find out that a file referenced as a
SYSTEM entity cannot have a DOCTYPE declaration according
to the XML spec, and parsers will report errors if it
does.  This "feature" is a serious barrier to doing
modular doc like you want.

So I'm back to square 1 it seems.

I'm back to xinclude. I want to use it also in site.xml, to gather
snippets from online common versions (and fallback if it doesn't find
them). We have to put xinclude before validation. I also tried mixinf
DTDs but it was a mess (since xincludes can happen everywhere in the
document), and i'd have to do it for all our DTDs.

Can anyone give me some pointer to how it can be done in Xerces?
(yes, XNI, I know, I need more concrete tips)

Anyway, I'm pursuing another path ATM, that of using book.xml as a
binder for a single-page view of the book.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -