forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter B. West" <pbw...@powerup.com.au>
Subject Re: How do tabs.xml and site.xml interact?
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2003 12:55:58 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 04:53:31PM +0100, Ed Steenhoek wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to get into the habits of Forrest as an "end-user". Just a
>>
>>few days back I started using the 0.3 release that now has site.xml
>>for managing the sitemap.
>>
>>What I haven't been able to find is some words about the way tabs.xml
>>
>>and site.xml interact.
>>My first efforts lead to a navigation tree on the HOME tab that
>>contains the full sitemap. I would like to get to a solution where
>>the other tabs are not shown on the home tab. Is this something that
>>should be possible already in 0.3?
>

> No, that's never a use-case we've encountered.  Why wouldn't you want
> some tabs?  Tabs are meant to be like tabs in a book: little indentations
> or sticking-out bits that allow you to quickly jump to a page.

Nonetheless, variable tabs would be very useful in complex sites.  For
example, you might have a set of top-level(s) tabs, and reserve some
space for subsets of tabs which are only activated when the parent menu
is selected.  Tabs are a great idea, but the real estate is limited.

Peter
--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"