forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Steenhoek" <edst...@pi.net>
Subject Re: How do tabs.xml and site.xml interact?
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2003 07:31:34 GMT
On 8 Feb 2003 at 18:03, Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 07:27:49AM +0100, Ed Steenhoek wrote:

> > > No, that's never a use-case we've encountered.  Why wouldn't you
> > > want some tabs?  Tabs are meant to be like tabs in a book: little
> > > indentations or sticking-out bits that allow you to quickly jump
> > > to a page.
> > >

> > Seems like I didn't express myself well enough here. The point is
> > that I don't mind the tabs. I do want them but don't want the menu
> > items for all the tabs to appear on the home tab. In this case all
> > tabs (including home) show only the menu items that are in their
> > book. The current home tab is more like a complete sitemap which is
> > very useful but not as primary navigation. The way I look at it that
> > the collection of tabs is your catalog with books each tab being an
> > independent book and like within any catalog there is an index: the
> > sitemap. I would like to have such a sitemap as content and not as
> > left-hand navigation.
>
> Ah okay.  Then you need to create a book.xml file in your site's
> content/xdocs directory.  This allows you to specify exactly what you
> want in the root menu.  Attached is a book.xml for the sample webapp
> ('forrest seed').
>
> --Jeff

OK. Will do trials.

I think this is beginning to become a design issue: I would have
expected that this behaviour would also be generated from site.xml
making usage of book.xml obsolete.
But first I have to become more familiar with all the aspects of
Forrest to even think if starting a discussion on this.

Thanks for now.

Ed