forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Steenhoek" <edst...@pi.net>
Subject Re: How do tabs.xml and site.xml interact?
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2003 06:27:49 GMT
On 8 Feb 2003 at 12:33, Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 04:53:31PM +0100, Ed Steenhoek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get into the habits of Forrest as an "end-user". Just
> >
> > few days back I started using the 0.3 release that now has site.xml
> > for managing the sitemap.
> >
> > What I haven't been able to find is some words about the way
> > tabs.xml
> >
> > and site.xml interact.
> > My first efforts lead to a navigation tree on the HOME tab that
> > contains the full sitemap. I would like to get to a solution where
> > the other tabs are not shown on the home tab. Is this something that
> > should be possible already in 0.3?
>
> No, that's never a use-case we've encountered.  Why wouldn't you want
> some tabs?  Tabs are meant to be like tabs in a book: little
> indentations or sticking-out bits that allow you to quickly jump to a
> page.

Seems like I didn't express myself well enough here. The point is
that I don't mind the tabs. I do want them but don't want the menu
items for all the tabs to appear on the home tab. In this case all
tabs (including home) show only the menu items that are in their
book.
The current home tab is more like a complete sitemap which is very
useful but not as primary navigation.
The way I look at it that the collection of tabs is your catalog with
books each tab being an independent book and like within any catalog
there is an index: the sitemap. I would like to have such a sitemap
as content and not as left-hand navigation.

Does this make clear what I'm looking for?
> > How does the engine knows which tab to link to which element in
> > site.xml? By element name?
>
> All the tabs are always present.  The only thing to decide is which
> tab is 'selected'.
>
> Determining which is selected is done by examining the path of the
> current page, and selecting the "most specific" tab.  For example, if
> the current page is 'community/index.html', and our tabs.xml contains:
>
>     <tab label="Home" dir=""/>
>     <tab label="Community" dir="community"/>
>     <tab label="How-Tos" dir="community/howto"/>
>
> Then "Home" and "Community" will match (their prefixes match that of
> the path), and "Community" will be the selected tab, as "community" is
> more specific than "".
>
> Usually, tabs are made to subdirectories, but it's also possible to
> tab a single page, eg:
>
>     <tab label="Community FAQ" path="community/faq.html"/>

Ok. Will play around with it.

> > I saw an example on the Forrest site where a tab showed only that
> > part of the sitemap relevant to that tab. Is this a goal ore already
> > reality for the current release?
>
> It's a reality in CVS, and looks like it will be in Forrest 0.3.1.
> For example, see the truncated menu at:
>
> http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/community/

Ok. Have to wait because that's what I need.

> --Jeff
>

> > I hope some of you can shine a sparkle of light on this by some
> > explanation or some words on the Forrest site that I apparently
> > overlook.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Ed Steenhoek