forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Xinclude and (in)validation
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:04:57 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 07/02/2003 15.10:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:10:07AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>Well, I think that including xinclude ;-) in the DTDs is a reasonable
>>thing, and one of the possible solutions. The fact is that I don't like
>>much fiddleing with other DTDs, and since users might want to make their
>>own DTD /and/ pretend to have xinclude working, maybe a pre-xinclude
>>step would ease things.
>
> Looks like Joerg is right, and the XNI XInclude thingy is the best
> immediate solution.
>
>>Dunno, both seem ok... I'll see if I can do something with a
>>pre-xinclude. Maybe it will just slow down things and be a mess or it
>>will be simply to hard to do, I don't wnat to spend too much time on it,
>>if it takes too much, I'll include it in the DTD.
>
> +1
>
>>BTW, is everyone ok if I put xinclude in the processing (just to be sure)?
>
> +1

And now I'm back to square 1.

What I really want to do is use the "developing with avalon" book in
Forrest. As it happens, it's written in docbook, and split out in
different files. The main fila has a bunch of xincludes for the
chapters, and the chapters have xincludes of the authors.

So, I happily got the problem I reported, and then looked for an
Xinclude solution for validation. No real luck, I cannot find easy
resources to get it going. Yes, I'm sure that xinclude before validation
is the way to go, but then it seems too much hassle for a small use case
ATM.

Fiddling with the DTD always makes me uneasy, so I said "heck with it,
let's include them all in a single page".

Ok, put them all in a single page, and it renders. Not perfect - well
much less than perfect - but it renders not bad in Forrest.

Problem: one big file :-(

Now, how do I split it?
Should it be paginated? If so, when does paginating occur and how does
the left menu interact?
Should it be split in different files, and have them aggregated in a
"book.xml"?
If I use book.xml, I loose the initial declarations in a docbook file.
So the book format as it is now is inadeguate to define "books", it's
too rudimentary. Maybe enhancing that a bit and making chapters
different files?

Oh boy...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -