forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] Full vs. truncated menus
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:16:06 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 07/02/2003 12.28:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:23:37AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote:
>>

>>>So a small poll for people who care..
>>>
>>>[ ] The menu should be limited to files below the current directory
>>>[ ] The menu should display all files in the site
>>
>>IMHO, I would opt for a mixed solution:
>>
>> - index page shows root content and restricted directory entries (only
>>one level deep)
>> - directory pages show directory content and root directories
>>What do you think?
>

> Yes, when doing all the site.xml menu stuff, I found the book.xml format
> very constraining.  It only allows two levels, <menu> and <menu-item>,
> and as you say, the distinction (menus not being clickable) is annoying.

Actually it seems that we have been using book.xml in a different way of
what it was designed for, although I didn' tdesign it so I'm not sure ;-)

I was thinking this: what if we use book.xml to define books? That is, a
binder for chapters? In this way, the pdf generator could generate a pdf
for every book it finds. So we can easily include books in a site.

That would mean that we include two navigational sections: the book and
the site one.

This also means that :

> In the medium term, I think we should adopt a more flexible intermediate
> menu format, perhaps based on Maven's navigation.xml
>
> <project name="Maven">
>     <menu name="Overview">
>       <item name="Goals"                   href="/goals.html"/>
>       <item name="Features"                href="/features.html"/>
>       <item name="Download"                href="/start/download.html"/>
>       <item name="News and Status"         href="/status.html"/>
>       <item name="Getting Started"         href="/start/index.html"/>
>       <item name="Reference"               href="/reference/index.html">
>         <item name="Project Descriptors"   href="/reference/project-descriptor.html"/>
>         <item name="User Guide"            href="/reference/user-guide.html"/>

Which is not a bad idea.

If we need an intermediate format to render the site.xml, we might as
well reuse that.

And keep .bookxml for what it can really do.

> Ideally, the final menu2html.xsl stylesheet should be given the *entire*
> site menu structure, with a 'you are here' marker attribute, and be left
> to render whatever subset of the menu makes sense.  If someone implements
> a snazzy CSS/JS click-to-open menu, then menu2html.xsl would populate the
> data structure with all the data.

That's an implementation detail, whatever will do. MAybe sending only
the viewable nodes makes less use of bandwith, especially for large sites.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -