forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quirks -> Standards-compliance mode rendering
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:05:36 GMT

David Crossley wrote, On 07/02/2003 6.31:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 01:10:15PM -0000, nicolaken@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>>nicolaken    2003/02/05 05:10:14
>>>
>>>  Modified:    src/resources/conf sitemap.xmap
>>>  Log:
>>>        <action dev="NKB" type="update" context="webapp" >
>>>          Use full loose DTD specification for html pages.
>>>          This also makes the avalon-tigris skin show the same in Mozilla and
IE.
>>>        </action>

>>This also makes Mozilla render the page in "standards-compliance" rather
>>than "quirks" mode:

"qurirks" mode :-))

>>http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/index.html
>>
>>(For comparison; still in quirks mode: http://xml.apache.org/forrest/)
>

> Thanks Jeff, my attention was pricked too when i saw
> that commit. I remember that we had "Quirks mode"
> discussions around 2002-05-28
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&r=2&b=200205
> I think that there were still unresolved issues. From
> memory the main one was the "old browser" issue.
>
> I checked in Netscape 4.79 on Linux and everything seems
> not too bad. Is that because our CSS and HTML has improved
> since those discussions?

That's what I think too.

I have checked the other skins too, and they seem to work fine.
Actually the avalon-tigris skin works much better, and renders the same
now in IE and Mozilla, which is the primary reason why I put it in.

If there are outstanding issues that crop out, we should remove that, of
course. I thought that now was ok to do it, seeing the results. In fact
we have changed a bit our expectance on the skin: we wanted initially to
have it look equivalent even in older browsers, but now, with the
soon2come css skin, it will not be so.

BTW, if you look at the tigris style, they have

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//Tigris//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://style.tigris.org/tigris_transitional.dtd">

which is quite unusual AFAIK.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -