forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Xinclude and (in)validation
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 08:10:07 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 06/02/2003 2.34:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:20:28AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Replying myself. Found a doc that explains it.
>>http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/07/31/xinclude.html?page=2

>>Possibility: plug in an xinclude step before the validation. There is an
>>xinclude task somewhere, if not we can make it.
>
> Problem is, whatever tool does the xinclude preprocessing will need to
> use a parser, and when that parser encounters the DOCTYPE declaration it
> will try to validate the XML :)

Even non-validating? IIRC when you have a DTD, it always reads it, but
for entities. Validation is a further step.

> That is, unless the xinclude tool uses XNI directly, or fiddles with the
> bytestream before and after parsing:
>
> http://doctypechanger.sourceforge.net/
>
> I think the best solution is to modify the DTD to allow xi:include.  The
> Docbook book has some info on this process:
>
> http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch05.html
>
> I don't think there are any better solutions, so long as we're hanging
> onto DTDs.  Even the latest version of Docbook has declared SVG, MathML
> and HTML forms in the DTD, rather than abandon DTDs altogether.

Ahhh.

Well, I think that including xinclude ;-) in the DTDs is a reasonable
thing, and one of the possible solutions. The fact is that I don't like
much fiddleing with other DTDs, and since users might want to make their
own DTD /and/ pretend to have xinclude working, maybe a pre-xinclude
step would ease things.

Dunno, both seem ok... I'll see if I can do something with a
pre-xinclude. Maybe it will just slow down things and be a mess or it
will be simply to hard to do, I don't wnat to spend too much time on it,
if it takes too much, I'll include it in the DTD.

BTW, is everyone ok if I put xinclude in the processing (just to be sure)?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -