forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: avalon-phoenix... sitemap.xmap] Disable link traversing
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:38:52 GMT
On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 12:19:20AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff, it seems that there is a real need for this. More than once it has
> been pointed out to me, but I have yet failed to grasp the real need.

It's pretty simple: links to anything 'outside' Forrest (like
not-yet-generated Javadocs) break.  The 'real need' is that people don't
want Forrest controlling the whole URI space.  They want to manually (or
with Ant) merge docs from multiple sources, one of which is Forrest.

> Could you please explain it a bit? It seems to me that it should be in
> Forrest proper, and I'd like to make it into a more generic feature.

Yes it should be.  Probably the CLI should be pointed to a list of URI
prefixes that are not to be traversed.

> Also, I'll write here a couple of points that I forgot to follow up on:
>
>  o  Cocoon should not generate an error page for the falied links;
>     if we deploy it, a linkchecker would not find broken links,
>     which is obviously wrong

True

>  o We should have an online and offline mode for the linkmap, so that
>    a semantic link changes wether the user is online or offline

If all the paths are relative, why should it matter whether the user is
offline or online?

--Jeff