forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docbook instead of document-v11?
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:35:00 GMT
On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:05:25AM +0200, mailarch@koodiorja.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there an easy way to use Docbook XML as the documentation type
> instead of the new document-v11? We have started documenting our
> Cocoon project in docbook but would definitely want to take the
> advantage of the possibilities the Forrest project offers (without
> having to stop using the authoring environments we have managed to
> build for docbook).
>
> Perhaps a XSL style sheet that would transform docbook to document-v11
> could do the trick? However, implementing a XSL stylesheet that would
> support even most of the docbook DTD and document-v11 DTD would be
> quite huge task so we're not able to allocate resources for such
> tasks. Instead, we are looking for something more complete (or
> faster/easier to implement).

There is already a library/xslt/docbook2document.xsl stylesheet that
attempts a conversion.  Right now, out intermediate format (doc-v11)
needs loosening up before it can accommodate full Docbook.

If you don't mind losing PDFs, it would be fairly easy to generate HTML
directly from the Docbook using the docbook.sf.net stylesheets, and then
merging it with the Forrest header and menus.  It would be only one step
beyond Forrest's existing *.ehtml handling (raw HTML + headers + menus).

--Jeff