forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:09:26 GMT
On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:56:52AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote, On 10/02/2003 16.19:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've placed distributions of what I've optimistically titled 0.4-RC1 at
> >http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/releases/0.4/
> >
> >Since 0.3, Forrest has accumulated a number of important bug fixes:
> >I am keen to get another release out, because I can feel the pressure
> >building to upgrade Cocoon, update DTDs, update skins, and otherwise kill
> >backwards-compat :)
>
> hehehe
>
> I agree we should release. Just a question. On my HD I have ready the
> docbook4.1 DTD in catalog, docbook working (not perfect but it renders),
> and xinclude enabled. These will be needed to render the Avalon site.
>
> Now, I don't like tieing (how do you spell it?) a (non)release to a
> user, so it's not really a necessity. Avaloners ATM are able to get
> Forrest from CVS.
>
> Just wanted to know if others think it's better to release quickly and
> integrate, or wait a week to put in these things and test a bit.

I'd prefer to release now without docbook, and do some work on
docbook2document.xsl in CVS before releasing it.  Avalon can always put
the Docbook DTDs in src/documentation/resources/schema.

One problem with Docbook support is that it is quite a bit 'looser' than
doc-v11.  You can do:

<para>
Here are some features:
<itemizedlist>
  <listitem>
    <para> Blah </para>
  </listitem>
</itemizedlist>
</para>

But in doc-v11 one can't do:

Here are some features:
<ul>
  <li>
  </li>
</ul>

Of course, since we don't validate the intermediate doc-v11 XML, this
won't actually break anything, but it would be nice to fix doc-v11 (see
etc/DTD_DEFICIENCIES.txt) a bit, and have roughly equivalent data models,
before loosing Docbook on the world.

--Jeff