forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:19:04 GMT
Hi,

I've placed distributions of what I've optimistically titled 0.4-RC1 at
http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/releases/0.4/

Since 0.3, Forrest has accumulated a number of important bug fixes:

 - Nicola has fixed the bug which made krysalis-site useless for
   multi-level site.xml [1]
 - avalon-site no longer bombs after rendering [2]
 - site.xml-generated menus are now limited to pages in or below the
   current directory.  Eg, see:
   http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/community/index.html
 - No more browser quirks mode; apparently this fixes cross-browser
   issues.
 - A <credit role="pdf"> skinconf entry no longer cause a broken image in
   HTML if <url> and <image> are omitted [3]

Plus a number of enhancements (which are why I prefer '0.4' over '0.3.1'):

 - All skins validate as CSS2.
 - book.xml files in subdirectories can now use site: URLs, removing the
   hassle of updating adding/deleting ..'s.
 - Presumably with the ERROR loglevel Forrest no longer generates 150k of
   text per page :)  Actually, ERROR may be a bit too high..
 - Some small PDF improvements.

I am keen to get another release out, because I can feel the pressure
building to upgrade Cocoon, update DTDs, update skins, and otherwise kill
backwards-compat :)

A lot of skin modification has occurred.  Could people please check that
the skins render okay in their browser:

forrest-site skin:
  http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/index.html

krysalis-site skin:
  http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/ws-site/index.html
  http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest-krysalis/index.html

avalon-tigris skin:
  Only online example is avalon-site, which is currently dying with an
  interesting error:

Setup... done.
Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.ExtendedXLinkPipe.simpleLink(ExtendedXLinkPipe.java:131)
    at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.LinkTranslator.simpleLink(LinkTranslator.java:84)
    at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.XLinkPipe.startElement(XLinkPipe.java:124)
    at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.ExtendedXLinkPipe.simpleLink(ExtendedXLinkPipe.java:131)
    at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.LinkTranslator.simpleLink(LinkTranslator.java:84)
    at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.XLinkPipe.startElement(XLinkPipe.java:124)

  Perhaps a self-referencing link?  I've verified that the skin works on
  other sites though.

I'm sure a few small issues will turn up in the next day or so (for
example, krysalis-site internal links still have those generate-id()
fragment identifiers).  Hopefully we can fix these without another RC.

Feedback, thoughts etc. welcome..

--Jeff

[1] http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-29
[2] http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=10048
[3] Btw, a useful way to abuse this mechanism is for adding a URL to the
document source in the PDF footer:
<credit role="pdf">
  <name></name>
  <url>http://www.mysite.com/thisfile.pdf</url>