forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] Full vs. truncated menus
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:28:25 GMT
On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:23:37AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >So a small poll for people who care..
> >
> >[ ] The menu should be limited to files below the current directory
> >[ ] The menu should display all files in the site
>
> IMHO, I would opt for a mixed solution:
>
>  - index page shows root content and restricted directory entries (only
> one level deep)
>  - directory pages show directory content and root directories

That sounds ideal to me too, and something to aim for.  The poll is just
about optimizing the present mess as far as possible.

> directory pages:
>
>     * About
>     * Getting involved
>     * Documentation
>     * Some Samples
>     * Community
>           o About
>           o How-To Samples
>                 + Overview
>                 + Single Page
>                 + Multi-Page
>                       # Intro
>                       # Step 1
>                       # Step 2
>                       # Step 3
>                       # Step 4
>                       # Step 5
>                 + With Images
>           o Committers
>                 + CVS through SSH
>      * References
>
> ... which brings me to the long-lasting itch why we can't make <menu
> label>s make direct links:
>
> # About -> really points to Index in this case
>     * License
>     * Download
>     * Who we are
>     * Dream list
>     * FAQs
>     * Changes
>     * Todo
>     * Live sites
>
> What do you think?

Yes, when doing all the site.xml menu stuff, I found the book.xml format
very constraining.  It only allows two levels, <menu> and <menu-item>,
and as you say, the distinction (menus not being clickable) is annoying.

In the medium term, I think we should adopt a more flexible intermediate
menu format, perhaps based on Maven's navigation.xml

<project name="Maven">
    <menu name="Overview">
      <item name="Goals"                   href="/goals.html"/>
      <item name="Features"                href="/features.html"/>
      <item name="Download"                href="/start/download.html"/>
      <item name="News and Status"         href="/status.html"/>
      <item name="Getting Started"         href="/start/index.html"/>
      <item name="Reference"               href="/reference/index.html">
        <item name="Project Descriptors"   href="/reference/project-descriptor.html"/>
        <item name="User Guide"            href="/reference/user-guide.html"/>

Ideally, the final menu2html.xsl stylesheet should be given the *entire*
site menu structure, with a 'you are here' marker attribute, and be left
to render whatever subset of the menu makes sense.  If someone implements
a snazzy CSS/JS click-to-open menu, then menu2html.xsl would populate the
data structure with all the data.

--Jeff