forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Printable version
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:10:21 GMT
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
> Konstantin Piroumian wrote, On 10/02/2003 8.44:
> > From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>

> >>Yup, I've recently made the same for other skins, except that the
> >>current Forrest one is still half-crap.
> >>
> >>I've already changed it to "printer-friendly PDF", is this ok?
> >

> > I'd also suggest to change the "Printer-friendly" icon to something like
> > PDF/Acrobat logo which is more usual for PDF versions.
>
> Some days ago I've changed the name to Printer friendly PDF.
> For the icon, we don't have permission to put it, but IANAL.

I don't think that permission needed to use the attached image, but IANAL
either. I don't think that each site (e.g.
http://www.data-harvest.co.uk/downloads/downloads_sensors.html) that hase
PDF downloads should get some license for that.
What do the lawers think?

> > Additionally, a new link to really a printer-friendly version could be
> > added, which will display the same page in HTML, containing only the
content
> > part (just like it is displayed in Print preview at
> > http://forrest.iguanacharlie.com/).
>
> Also the other skins basically do it (the forrest one is not perfect but
> I don't care much since the CSS one will supercede). Try it.
>
> As for the link you suggest, how can you make it work?

Using a special matcher like '/index.xml.print' or maybe a cocoon-view
'index?cocoon-view=print' to generate only the content part of the document
then use a simplified stylesheet to transform it. Though, I must admit I
always forget that everything should also work from CLI.

Then if CSS skin is finalized and will replace the current one then we can
place a JavaScript link on the printer icon to print the page, something lik
e:

 <a onclick="javascript:window.print();return false;">...</a>

this will display the Print... dialog.

-- Konstantin