forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] Full vs. truncated menus
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:28:56 GMT
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
> Jeff Turner wrote, On 07/02/2003 12.28:
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:23:37AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> >
> >>Jeff Turner wrote:

> > Yes, when doing all the site.xml menu stuff, I found the book.xml format
> > very constraining.  It only allows two levels, <menu> and <menu-item>,
> > and as you say, the distinction (menus not being clickable) is annoying.
>
> Actually it seems that we have been using book.xml in a different way of
> what it was designed for, although I didn' tdesign it so I'm not sure ;-)
>
> I was thinking this: what if we use book.xml to define books? That is, a
> binder for chapters? In this way, the pdf generator could generate a pdf
> for every book it finds. So we can easily include books in a site.
>
> That would mean that we include two navigational sections: the book and
> the site one.

Good idea.

> This also means that :
>
> > In the medium term, I think we should adopt a more flexible intermediate
> > menu format, perhaps based on Maven's navigation.xml
> >
> > <project name="Maven">
> >     <menu name="Overview">
> >       <item name="Goals"                   href="/goals.html"/>
> >       <item name="Features"                href="/features.html"/>
> >       <item name="Download"                href="/start/download.html"/>
> >       <item name="News and Status"         href="/status.html"/>
> >       <item name="Getting Started"         href="/start/index.html"/>
> >       <item name="Reference"               href="/reference/index.html">
> >         <item name="Project Descriptors"
href="/reference/project-descriptor.html"/>
> >         <item name="User Guide"
href="/reference/user-guide.html"/>

> Which is not a bad idea.

I like it!

> If we need an intermediate format to render the site.xml, we might as
> well reuse that.
>
> And keep .bookxml for what it can really do.
>
> > Ideally, the final menu2html.xsl stylesheet should be given the *entire*
> > site menu structure, with a 'you are here' marker attribute, and be left
> > to render whatever subset of the menu makes sense.  If someone
implements
> > a snazzy CSS/JS click-to-open menu, then menu2html.xsl would populate
the
> > data structure with all the data.
>
> That's an implementation detail, whatever will do. MAybe sending only
> the viewable nodes makes less use of bandwith, especially for large sites.

I've found my sample with show/hide menu and you can view it here:
http://cvs.apache.org/~kpiroumian/forrest/page.html

Bandwidth can be optimized if we send nodes on request. So, we can display
the top level nodes first, then if user click on a node we can download the
child node and display it dynamically. And this can be achieved by using
inline <xml> sections and JavaScript in IE. Not sure about Mozilla/Netscape,
but similar thing could be also implemented in latest versions using hidden
frames/iframes.

-- Konstantin