forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Minor issues, suggestions
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:47:45 GMT
Hi!

I'm back again with my usual nitpicking.

Had a quick look at latest Forrest (produced by forrestbot) and noticed
several minor issues with menus, styles, etc.:

    - take a look at:
http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/community/howto/cvs-ssh/ho
wto-cvs-ssh.html - there is no menu and the page looks somewhat ugly
    - the selected tab has a wrong style (in default skin), probably that's
because the label is a link, but it wasn't before, so the link style is
applied. It used to be light blue and not underlined.
    - the font size now looks better, but the label under the printer image
is not readable (1152 x 864).

Now several suggestions in the light of new hierarchical site.xml structure:

If you take a look at the original design of the page
(http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-forrest/src/resources/layout/xml.apac
he.org/page.gif?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup)  then
you'd notice that the navigation bar at the top contains full path to the
document. If shouldn't be difficult to generate from site.xml.

Also there are Next [ 2] Prev links. These are also easy to generate from
the site.xml, isn't it?

Another thing that I suggested long time ago is to use JavaScript for
show/hide features in the menu bar. As the number of documents increases
you'll get a very long menu at the left. In such cases having possibility to
show/hide particular nodes would be very useful. It is easy to implement by
switching "display:none"/"display:block" styles on the <ul> elements.

Anyway, I am glad to see such a great progress on Forrest. Thanks!

--
  Konstantin