forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Docbook instead of document-v11?
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:21:13 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> mailarch@koodiorja.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there an easy way to use Docbook XML as the documentation type
> > instead of the new document-v11? We have started documenting our
> > Cocoon project in docbook but would definitely want to take the
> > advantage of the possibilities the Forrest project offers (without
> > having to stop using the authoring environments we have managed to
> > build for docbook).
> >
> > Perhaps a XSL style sheet that would transform docbook to document-v11
> > could do the trick? However, implementing a XSL stylesheet that would
> > support even most of the docbook DTD and document-v11 DTD would be
> > quite huge task so we're not able to allocate resources for such
> > tasks. Instead, we are looking for something more complete (or
> > faster/easier to implement).
>
> There is already a library/xslt/docbook2document.xsl stylesheet that
> attempts a conversion.  Right now, out intermediate format (doc-v11)
> needs loosening up before it can accommodate full Docbook.
>
> If you don't mind losing PDFs, it would be fairly easy to generate HTML
> directly from the Docbook using the docbook.sf.net stylesheets, and then
> merging it with the Forrest header and menus.  It would be only one step
> beyond Forrest's existing *.ehtml handling (raw HTML + headers + menus).

To get you started, if you are happy with plain content
with no headers or menus, then this previous email will
help. The only catch is that we needed to put a hard-coded
file:// url in the project sitemap.xmap to point to
the local docbook stylesheets.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=104449613910273

--David