forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stop menu generation
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:44:16 GMT
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
> Konstantin Piroumian wrote, On 14/02/2003 10.20:

> > Btw, can't we add an <?xml-stylesheet ?> instruction for client-side
> > transformation?
>
> Could you please explain some use cases for it? Thanks :-)

You know that IE 5+ can transform XML itself, so having pure XML output with
linked stylesheets would reduce the bandwith (I bother for my GPRS
connection fee mainly ;) ). The stylesheets could be cached, so the browser
would get only pure content as XML and transform to HTML as if it were on
the server-side (IMO, this would be possible, cause there are no Cocoon
specific things in stylesheets, e.g. aggregation or dynamic generation).

Also, if we provide the XML view then it's quite common to add a default
stylesheet for rendering (see GeoURL RSS feeds, or W3C XSLT pages - they
provide XML and linked XSLT as well).

Anyway, this was just a quick idea without any particular use-case in mind.

Konstantin