forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: site and book documents
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:40:41 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:50:14AM +1000, Keiron Liddle wrote:

<snip/>

>>Instead I thought that it could work with different files with the same
>>format.  Instead ref-tabs.xml and ref-book.xml are used to refer to the
>>xml files to be included. A stylesheet can then convert the
>>ref-tabs.xml into a document containing all the referenced xml
>>documents, the combined document can then be converted as normal.
>

> That does seem better.

personally I was thinking about this more along the lines of
having a <inline-link href="site:some_part"  /> inside xdoc
format itself.

this would also allow for sort of binding-text (that has no
meaning by itself)

then we could have a transformer that pics up these 'inlines' and
produces the full document to be processed further down the line
'as normal'. Persumably it would only inline the <body>
element... not fully sure whether we should have some xpath
fragment identifier inside the link to include (is feasible but
kinda breaks the SAX processing I think)

I guess the next thing would be to allow for link-backs, so when
you have the html version of some-part alone it could show links
of larger agregated documents that embody it (this starts to
sound like xlink, uh)

> I think it would be better to let the sitemap do all the XML merging,
> transforming etc.
>
> At:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/samples/merge.tgz
>
> there is a sample project with a 'BookView' menu entry, which has a HTML
> and PDF containing all merged content in the directory.  Generated PDF at:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/samples/book.pdf
>
> This is implemented with the XPathDirectoryGenerator in Cocoon scratchpad.
>
>    <!-- Support for merged views of a directory's contents -->
>    <map:match pattern="body-book.xml">
>      <map:generate type="xpathdirectory"
>        src="content/xdocs#/document/*"/>
>      <map:transform src="resources/stylesheets/directory2document.xsl"/>
>      <map:call resource="skinit">
>       <map:parameter name="type" value="document2html"/>
>       <map:parameter name="path" value="book"/>
>      </map:call>
>     </map:match>

Nice. Stuff like this could reside in the forrest cvs as well,
no?  Next to having the forrest-seed-fresh-site we should maybe
have a samples section as well?

> This isn't a full solution though, because formats other than doc-v11 won't be
> integrated.  That would be easy with a <map:aggregate>, but I'm not sure how to
> aggregate dynamically.

interesting thought... maybe the merging should be defined on the
   intermediate (pre-skin format)