forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@geekspeak.org>
Subject Re: Too-wide menu text
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 03:49:54 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

>I think, because it's CSS's job to clip the string, and AFAIK CSS can't
>do the ...'s.  I would like to be proven wrong though.

Unfortunately you are correct.  CSS has the ability to put elipses after
nav items, but it would put them after EVERY entry -- not exactly what
you're looking for.  It currently has no style directive that could put
a conditional by string length -- or better, string width.

It can clip by width but then no elipses.  :(

The only client, web-based markup I've seen do something like this are
elements in Mozilla's XUL...and that's not an option for a
general-purpose web resource.

- Miles