forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Standard DTD (was Re: [VOTE] FakeForrest is ready!)
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:22:07 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Or rather, make docv11 just another format that Forrest supports.

Jeff is right on the money here.

I'm so sick of people complaining about Forrest because of the DTD. God,
it reminds me of the stupid flamewars about little-endian vs. big-endian
on CPU assembly instructions.

The idea should be: you use whatever DTD/schema you like and Forrest
will take care of the rest.

Like Steven said, publishing should not be a two-phase sequence but a
three-phase one:

  original -(adaptation)-> model -(presentation)-> view

of course, this works only if the "model" schema is powerful enough to
contain all the semantics used by any 'original' schemas. So, in this
respect, probably DocBook would be the best schema for that part.

But my suggestion would be to adopt that model but keep it simple and
keep using our Document DTD and add things incrementally to make sure we
really need them (moving from document to docbook is simply too big as a
jump... but simplified docbook might not be... worth considering)

Now, how can we make that adaptation phase as transparent as possible?

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <>

View raw message