forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Standard DTD (was Re: [VOTE] FakeForrest is ready!)
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:14:30 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I think that we should embrace a standard instead of continuing on our
> own DTD.

Support rather than embrace maybe.

I just had a quick look at sdocbook - would it be a candidate for a
mid-tier format?

> Reasons:
>  - editors: standards have editors that users can really use to
>             edit our docs
>  - users: users know standard DTDs already, but have to take some time
>           to learn ours.
>  - interoperability: using a standard DTD makes it easy for other tools
>                      to output to that DTD for us or viceversa
>
> I had proposed XHTML 2 as a base for our new DTD; and also did a
> comparison. Nothing followed.
> If someone wants to go forward with it, here's the link; in the middle
> there is a tag-per-tag comparison:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102909917505608&w=2

XHTML2 is under lots of pressure IIRC. Too much, too soon.

What we could do is having such a setup:

    ENTRY               MID-TIER

   xdocs       CAP      sdocbook    skin       xsl-fo
   sdocbook   ---->        or       ---->      (x)html
   xhtml2?               xhtml2                rss
   status

What do you think?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org