forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Forrest TODO list
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 20:26:17 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hope you all had a good break.

yep & thx, before wishing forrest and all around a breakthrough
in 2003 I'ld also like to thank this group for the work all of
you havve been setting aside here and you Jeff, personally, for
the way you have been active in this project the past months...
quite some 'acorns' you've been dropping around :-)

I guess we all envy the time you can put into it, but even given
that I still like to admit you'll spending it in a very
productive way...

> I think it would be a good idea to get some sort of Forrest Roadmap
> happening, to figure out what needs to be done, what the priorities are,
> and who is willing to do what.

yep, I like this work-list aproach, hope you'll be feeding it to
us again in apropriate portions in the running of the next
months, and don't mind bashing people for things they take up and
then leave behind (being quite good at that myself)

> Here is a list of things I can think of.  Please add to it, and indicate
> what you think is most important.  Maybe later we can break this up and
> add it to JIRA.  I think JIRA has XML export, so maybe we could create a
> 'todo' tab in Forrest, linking to each item.  Er.. add that to the
> 'medium term' list :)

- yep, in the same region (mid-term) would be some stylesheet
(maybe together with some inputmodules stuff and config-file for
the extra data) that allows publishing the status.xml as a
rss.xml that people can aggregate in their blog-rolls (recent
thought, people with experience or good pointers, throw them on
the list please)

- also the edit-side of docs could use 'something' (really vague,
I know, so put it on long term unless somebody can write down
some sensible use cases)

- more nearby (mid-term?) something that makes the various
book.xml's less of a hastle (and maybe settles down if libre is
ever going to get somewhere or not)

- equally closer by I've sensed some emerging need for decoupling
  the 1-1 between html and pdf (as printable version) typically
people would like to aggregate some xdocs into one pdf (or
straight print-nice html in fact) and/or split up a bigger
document into multiple next|previous pages (given the fact that
some were recently making the pdf for outside vs. html for
interal distribution remark)

- on the forrestbot management web-gui: might be interesting to
also be able to register new skins on there, and maybe web-form
like submit or even edit a bot-config to add in the list.

as for the forrest-users mailing list: my feeling would be that
committers still need to be subscribed to both anyway (and I'm
lazy :-p ), so I would leave it to non-committers to actually
raise the need (I mean when they start complaining about wasted
bandwith on for them non-relevant stuff then it is probably a
better time/argument than the 'we want to rant and flame in a
more private corner' :-))

regards,
-marc=

> Short term
>
> - Fix or work around the images-in-PDF problem [1].
>
> - Fix the logging (logkit.xconf) to stop Cocoon generating 370k (!) of
>   logs per page rendered.
>
> - Fix whatever it is that causes Jisp to fill error.log with these:
>
> ERROR   (2002-12-25) 23:15.44:410   [core.store.persistent] (/forrest/community/index.html)
Thread-13/JispFilesystemStore: get(..): Exception