forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject XHTML 2 intermediate format (Re: Letting through raw HTML)
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:13:39 GMT
On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:38:13AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >So I'd like to introduce behaviour where:
> >
> >content/xdocs/*.html
> >
> >is treated as well-formed XML (hence in xdocs), and just has the menu and
> >tabs added.
> >
> >Does this sound decent?
>
> To be fair, I think it sucks. It's a big fat hole in our SOC.
>
> That said, I also think that keeping a documentDTD11 that's
> -almostbutnotquite- HTML sucks even more, and takes away lots of
> flexibility. We're trying to push an elephant (html, docbook, whatever)
> through a narrow hole (document11).

True.

> The solution IMHO would be to switch to XHTML. It doesn't have sections?
> I had proposed to follow XHTML2 which has them, and has all HTML features.
>
> So we would have:
>
>  - XHTML2WD
>  - DOCBOOK
>  - WIKI
>  - HTML
>
> Then as an intermediate format
>
>  - XHTML2 ?
>  - DOCBOOK ?

XHTML 2 sounds like the best bet for an intermediate format, because:

 - It's structurally closest to HTML, so the xhtml22html.xsl stylesheet
   would be simple.
 - There's already Docbook -> XHTML stylesheets, so supporting Docbook as
   a source format should be quite easy.

It's also pretty good as a 'source' format too.  Non-proprietary,
politically neutral, familiar to users..

> Then as output
>
>  - DOCBOOK

Who wants Docbook output?

>  - HTML
>  - TEXT

- XML + CSS

> Finally we would stop maintaining a DTD that was created to surpass HTML
> deficiencies, at a time when HTML is going forward faster.

Hooray..

To: www-html-request@w3.org
Subject: subscribe

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/