forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Out-of-line links (Re: <acronym> tag in docv11)
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 04:22:01 GMT
On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 12:00:31AM +0100, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >Docbook uses such things to build indexes.  If we could declare
> >taxonomies of words (eg 'pelican' is a typeof 'bird'), I'd imagine search
> >results could be more accurate.
>
> Oops another semantic web convert. :-)
> Don't forget to plunder existing repositories for ideas, tags,
> taxonomies and data.
> Some keywords to search for: Cyc, OpenCyc, Virtual Hyper Glossary.

The VHG has a nice example of automatically marking up a doc with
glossary references:

http://www.vhg.org.uk/software/chem2.gif
http://www.vhg.org.uk/software/index.html

I downloaded OpenCYC last night.  It's pretty impressive, and has a good
tutorial.  With a SOAP interface it would make a killer web service.

> However, be prepared for a desillusionment too. There is a reason
> that this isn't already widely used.

It all seems rather academic.  Overcomplicated solutions looking for
problems to justify their learning cost.  I'm sure in vertical industries
there are lots of opportunities for using ontologies 'n things, but it's
going to take a lot of imagination and foresight to work them into
Forrest.  [RT]'s welcome.

--Jeff