forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrest.build.xml inconsistency
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:04:31 GMT
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:55:52PM +0100, Tom Klaasen wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm probably stumbling in through the front door here (image in my
> mind: snow storm outside, in a forest. I fall through a door of a wood
> cabin, in which a stove is burning, and some bear hunters are sipping
> their rum and give me a dirty look),

:)

> but I have to say you don't do much effort to keep newcomers out: I've
> just downloaded and installed forrest in 15 minutes. Congrats. I've
> never been able to do that on any OSS project I've tried (and most
> commercial software takes longer also).

Great!  That's always annoyed me about OSS.. it takes too long to
evaluate.  A bit of sample code and a .sh/.bat script setting up the
classpath is worth reams of documentation.

Hmm.. that's an idea.  A little "Certified idiot-proof installation"
accreditation program.  Projects sign up, and every month, a newcomer
from a pool of volunteers attempts to install the software and perhaps
solve a simple problem with it.  They write up their experiences, and if
favourable, the project gets to put a little 'certified' logo on their
site, and gets listed in a project directory somewhere.

> But of course there's a but. In the forrest.build.xml file, on line
> 514, I read
>
> This project already has content in ${project.xdocs-dir}.
>
> Nice and all, but this is the fail message from something that checks this:
>
>    <available property="project.content.present" file="${project.content-dir}"
>       type="dir"/>
>

> Notice the inconsistency between xdocs-dir and content-dir.

I've made them both 'project.content-dir'.

> Which of the two has to be empty now? My guess would be content-dir.
> But in that directory is a CVS directory (I'm talking about
> krysalis-wings here). Shouldn't CVS directories be ignored in the
> check?

Probably.  I can't think of any easy way to check this with Ant.  For now
I've added a flag to override the check:

forrest -Dskip.contentcheck=yes seed

> Anyway, just that you know. I managed to work around it by checking on
> xdocs-dir (which didn't exist).
>

> Can I get some rum too? Please?

It's not rum, it's a mixture of SoC, Cocoon and pointy tags.  You need to
be fairly drunk before Forrest has long-term appeal ;)

--Jeff