forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Linking revisited: A general linking system
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:05:48 GMT
On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 08:09:58PM +0100, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >    <link name="building_own_website" href="#own_website"/>
> >That buys us the ability to validate:
> >
> ><!ELEMENT link (link*)>
> >
> >At the cost of 12 extra characters per line.  Seems hardly worth doing :)
>
> This buys the possiblity to use spaces and other Unicode
> characters in logical target names which are invalid for
> QNames.

It certainly prohibits spaces, which I see as an advantage.  The
production for 'Letter' has lots of non-ASCII unicode ranges, so I don't
see that hurting i18n:

http://www.xml.com/axml/target.html#sec-common-syn

> It also buys using character references for writing
> down the link target name.

Yes, though, any non-English user is going to have an editor that can
enter non-ASCII characters directly.

> Both may be important features
> for non-technicans, in particular for non-english
> non-technicans.
>
> It also avoids problems in case someone has the great
> idea to define a link target name containing a colon.

Preventing stupid things like this saves US problems :)  We don't have to
worry about disambiguating href="foo:bar:baz".

--Jeff