forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Adopt site: linking
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 05:16:01 GMT
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:57:53AM -0800, Robert Koberg wrote:
> Hi,

Yes, @href could be auto-generated.  To do it properly would require
working backwards through the sitemap, to discover 'index.html' and
'index.pdf' from 'index.xml'.  IIRC is what Nicola termed 'inverting' the
sitemap.

Actually, lots of site.xml content could be generated.  Eg, we could
generate dc:Creator, dc:Title and dc:Description from the XML header
contents:

<header>
  <title>Menus and Linking</title>
  <version>$Revision: 1.4 $</version>
  <authors>
    <person name="Jeff Turner" email="jefft@apache.org"/>
  </authors>
  <abstract>This document describes Forrest's internal URI
  space ....</abstract>
</header>

> Also I would change a few things about Jeff's example:
>
> <file rdf:ID="index"
>   dc:Creator="person 1, person 2, but perhaps this should be rdf:Bag/rdf:LI's">
> <!-- shouldn't be an attribute since there *should* be a way to have more than
> one source per page-->
>   <dc:source>xml:index</dc:source>
>   <dc:source>xml:index_sidebar</dc:source>
>   <dc:description>This should be an element because you might have a ' or a
> "<dc:description>
> <!-- possible output formats -->
>   <dc:format>
>     <rdf:Bag>
>       <rdf:LI>text/html</rdf:LI>
>       <rdf:LI>application/pdf</rdf:LI>
>     </rdf:Bag>
>   <dc:format>
> </file>
>
> The dc:format tells which kind of output to generate, so back to
> Joerg's issue we might have:
>
> <folder rdf:ID="design">
> <!-- having format=pdf here would indicate to aggregate everything into one pdf
> document -->
>   <dc:format>application/pdf<dc:format>
> <file rdf:ID="index"
>   dc:Creator="person 1, person 2, but perhaps this should be rdf:Bag/rdf:LI's">
>   <dc:source>xml:index</dc:source>
>   <dc:source>xml:index_sidebar</dc:source>
>   <dc:description>This should be an element because you might have a ' or a " or
> possibly elements???<dc:description>
>   <dc:format>text/html<dc:format>
> </file>
> </folder>

Looks decent, especially use of dc:format and dc:source..

The trouble is, the sitemap is what really calls the shots.  site.xml can say it
wants PDF for directories, but that needs to be implemented in the sitemap.  We
probably need to augment the hand-written site.xml with <dc:format> info at
runtime, and then figure out how to use that for link resolution.

Proper context-dependent, sitemap-aware linking is in my "too hard" basket right
now, so I'm continuing with simpler tasks, and thinking about it in the
background.. hopefully someone will come up with a [RT] outlining how it could
be implemented, and save me the trouble.

--Jeff