forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: site and book documents
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:07:11 GMT
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 09:40:41AM +0100, Marc Portier wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:50:14AM +1000, Keiron Liddle wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>

> >>Instead I thought that it could work with different files with the same
> >>format.  Instead ref-tabs.xml and ref-book.xml are used to refer to the
> >>xml files to be included. A stylesheet can then convert the
> >>ref-tabs.xml into a document containing all the referenced xml
> >>documents, the combined document can then be converted as normal.
> >

> >That does seem better.
> >

> personally I was thinking about this more along the lines of
> having a <inline-link href="site:some_part"  /> inside xdoc
> format itself.

XInclude then?

> this would also allow for sort of binding-text (that has no
> meaning by itself)
>
> then we could have a transformer that pics up these 'inlines' and
> produces the full document to be processed further down the line
> 'as normal'. Persumably it would only inline the <body>
> element... not fully sure whether we should have some xpath
> fragment identifier inside the link to include (is feasible but
> kinda breaks the SAX processing I think)
>
> I guess the next thing would be to allow for link-backs, so when
> you have the html version of some-part alone it could show links
> of larger agregated documents that embody it (this starts to
> sound like xlink, uh)

> >This is implemented with the XPathDirectoryGenerator in Cocoon scratchpad.
> >
> >   <!-- Support for merged views of a directory's contents -->
> >   <map:match pattern="body-book.xml">
> >     <map:generate type="xpathdirectory"
> >       src="content/xdocs#/document/*"/>
> >     <map:transform src="resources/stylesheets/directory2document.xsl"/>
> >     <map:call resource="skinit">
> >      <map:parameter name="type" value="document2html"/>
> >      <map:parameter name="path" value="book"/>
> >     </map:call>
> >    </map:match>
>
> Nice. Stuff like this could reside in the forrest cvs as well,
> no?  Next to having the forrest-seed-fresh-site we should maybe
> have a samples section as well?

It's really just a custom sitemap and stylesheet added to a 'seed' site.
If this were in CVS, we'd need to basically duplicate the seed files for
every 'sample'.  Keeping samples on a webserver somewhere would be
better..

Actually, I've been thinking how we could use Forrest to make Cocoon
development easier.  By adding a build.xml to the seed site, we have an
ideal environment for quickly developing components like Transformers.
The Java code, XML documentation and sitemap example are all contained in
one small package.

> >This isn't a full solution though, because formats other than doc-v11
> >won't be integrated.  That would be easy with a <map:aggregate>, but
> >I'm not sure how to aggregate dynamically.
> >

> interesting thought... maybe the merging should be defined on the
> intermediate (pre-skin format)

Yes.

--Jeff