forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Adopt site: linking
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:32:04 GMT
Hi,

On the LINKMAP_BRANCH, I'm at the stage where things are fairly stable,
and ready to be integrated into the trunk.  Since there are some big
changes here, I thought this would be a good time to introduce them all
and [VOTE] on their inclusion.

>From a user's POV, the following changes are apparent:

1) There's a new file, src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml,
containing an XML map of the website contents.

2) book.xml's are no longer necessary, but are supported for
backwards-compatibility.  Normally, menus are now generated directly from
site.xml.

3) You can now use <link href="site:xyz"> to link to xyz.html, providing
the xyz node is defined in site.xml.  These site: links work wherever the
linkee or linker are located.  Actually, 'xyz' could identify almost
anything: a directory, a file, an #anchor node, or an external http: URL.
It's now Forrest's job to resolve that.

4) You can use <link href="ext:abc"> as an aliasing mechanism for
external URLs defined in site.xml.  Useful for hard-to-remember URLs or
those used in multiple places.

5) Advanced users (people who can configure InputModules) can define
their own linking schemes.

I've documented the system from a user and developer POV at
http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/tmp/forrest/linking.html
That doc will have plenty of typos and stupid mistakes, as I haven't
proof-read it yet.

As I told Robert off-list, the site.xml format is very much a first cut,
"simplest thing that works" affair, which at some stage we can replace
with a decent RDF + dublin core system, more like the LSB site.xml.

--Jeff