forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Standard DTD (was Re: [VOTE] FakeForrest is ready!)
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:25:11 GMT
On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:02:45PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Miles Elam wrote:
> >Robert Koberg wrote:
> >
> [...]
>
> >Simplified DocBook I think fits the role of a round peg here.
> >http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/simple/
>
> [...]
>
> >Have you found the same to be true of the simplified version?
> >http://www.docbook.org/tdg/simple/en/html/sdocbook.html
>
> [...]
>
> >It was not my intention to muddy the waters here, but I thought these
> >links might be interesting if for no other reason than to have another
> >schema with which to compare when making your own.
>
> I think that we should embrace a standard instead of continuing on our
> own DTD.

+1

Or rather, make docv11 just another format that Forrest supports.

> Reasons:
>  - editors: standards have editors that users can really use to
>             edit our docs
>  - users: users know standard DTDs already, but have to take some time
>           to learn ours.
>  - interoperability: using a standard DTD makes it easy for other tools
>                      to output to that DTD for us or viceversa
>
> I had proposed XHTML 2 as a base for our new DTD; and also did a
> comparison. Nothing followed.
> If someone wants to go forward with it, here's the link; in the middle
> there is a tag-per-tag comparison:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102909917505608&w=2

Forrest needs a bit of restructuring to support multiple document types.
Each new doctype requires (at least):

 - schemas, currently in src/resources/schema/dtd
 - XSLTs, in src/resources/skins/common/xslt
 - catalog in src/resources/schema
 - sitemap mods

I was thinking we could package these up into RPM-like bundles, so users
could download new doctype support as they need it.

Forrest plugins. Hmm. Volunteers? :)

--Jeff