forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Too-wide menu text
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 07:35:10 GMT
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Miles Elam wrote:

> >> Unfortunately you are correct.  CSS has the ability to put elipses
> >> after nav items, but it would put them after EVERY entry -- not
> >> exactly what you're looking for.  It currently has no style directive
> >> that could put a conditional by string length -- or better, string
width.

> >> It can clip by width but then no elipses.  :(
> >>
> >> The only client, web-based markup I've seen do something like this are
> >> elements in Mozilla's XUL...and that's not an option for a
> >> general-purpose web resource.
> >

> > I don't get it.
> >
> > Why can't we have an XSLT stylesheet cut characters and replace them
> > with "..." if they are exceeding a predefined (and configurable, of
> > course) number?
>
> It's already done on the krysalis skin for some time now. Oh and on that
> skin the page navigation is embedded in the dir navigation on the left.
> Example:
> http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/quickstart.html

Looks good, but not much useful, especially, if you don't provide the
original label as a hint (using 'title' attribute on links).

> For us skins are not only CSS, so I don't see the problem about
> truncating. If someone wants to truncate later, he makes his skin. Skins
> do have xslt.

And I am agree with this. Someone likes trancated label the others can tweak
the stylesheet to display wrapped text the thirds can tweak the CSS to make
the menu wider to display all the labels as one line.

BTW, Nicola, are you already using something different from book.xml? I see
3-level menus, but AFAIR, book.xml doesn't support that.

Konstantin