forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Savory <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: URI spaces: source, processing, result
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:39:05 GMT

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Steven Noels wrote:

> could you please comment on my summary, too? Also, I'd like to hear the
> opinion of others.

Ok, caveat: I've not used Forrest (yet), but I use Cocoon extensively.

Jeff Turner wrote:

> Are you really suggesting that requests for Javadoc pages should go
> through Cocoon?
>
> But the problem is real: how do we integrate Javadocs into
> the URI space.
>
> I'd say write out .htaccess files with mod_rewrite rules, and figure out
> what the equivalent for Tomcat is.  Perhaps a separate servlet..
> _anything_ but Cocoon ;P

Whilst I understand your concern about passing 21mb of files through
Cocoon untouched, I'm not sure there's a more elegant way of handling URI
space issues, without ending up bundling a massive amount of software with
Forrest (or making unrealistic software prerequisite installation
demands).

So, since Cocoon _can_ handle the rewriting concern, and is already in
Forrest, why not use it?

I like the idea of link naming schemes, but I'm really worried about the
idea of specifying MIME types as link attributes. This seems like a nasty
hack: should we be specifying MIME types? Why would we want to know that
the PDF I'm linking to is application/pdf? Or even worse,
application/pdf+uml? Seems like it would make my job harder.

I guess I'd better go track down the arguments in favour of this in the
mailing list archive.

Andrew.