forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Entities in XML docs
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 13:36:31 GMT
Hi,

<snip/>

> > An attribute type of NMTOKEN also exists. I'm not sure whether you can
> > declare 'any' attribute in RNG while still specifying the type being
> > NMTOKEN or something similar, but 'someone will tell me' ;-)
>
> There's a NMTOKEN datatype in XSD or something that we could use.

Something like?
<rng:oneOrMore>
  <rng:element
    name="language"
    a:default="en-us"
    xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
    <rng:choice>
      <rng:value a:label="US English" type="NMTOKEN">en-us</rng:value>
      <rng:value a:label="Bulgarian" type="NMTOKEN">bg</rng:value>
    </rng:choice>
  </rng:element>
</rng:oneOrMore>

> > >Finally, we could never have a RNG or DTD for site.xml, because it is
> > >intended to be arbirtarily extended, vertically by whatever page
> > >classification scheme the user wants, and horizontally with whatever
> > >page metadata the user wants.  There could be attributes for
> > >timestamps, access levels, difficulty levels, related pages, bogosity
> > >readings, anything.  At best, we could have a Schematron enforcing the
> > >presence of minimal metadata, ie @href.  Even @label is optional, eg:
> > >
> > >  <primer label="Forrest Primer" href="primer.html">
> > >    <cvs href="#cvs"/>
> > >  </primer>
> >
> > In my mind and practice, I only use Schematron for things which can't be
> > expressed in other grammar languages, i.e. context- or value-dependent
> > values or models, like:
> >
> > the contentmodel for element c depends on the value of the attribute b
> > attached to some element a
> >
> > and even then, I wonder how that would like in Schematron :-s
>
> Oh well, any old schema language.. in the end, we still have an
> arbirtarily structured file where the only thing validatable is metadata.

Well, if content pieces have links that use IDs (or element names as IDs) from
the site.xml you can use schematron or just XSLT and document() to validate
links.

I am not clear on how to make an element name a validatable ID in RNG.

> Thinking about it, RDF might be a good way to express metadata about
> files in a website.  Didn't Tim Bray or someone recently come up with a
> Notation that Doesn't Suck?  I can't seem to find it.  Anyone here know
> anything about RDF? :)  Is it usable by mortals to store metadata about a
> site?

This is not exactly what you are asking for but perhaps checkout:
http://dublincore.org/documents/2002/07/31/dcmes-xml/

<snip/>

best,
-Rob