forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: URI spaces: source, processing, result
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:58:20 GMT
Hi,

<snip/>

> Here is an analogy with the seemingly uncontroversial 'linkmap' scheme.
> How should 'linkmap' links be implemented?
>
> a) Have an explicit prefix, like <link href="site:/primer">
> b) Have unprefixed links like <link href="primer">, and have the CLI open
> the linkmap.xml file, and check if a 'primer' entry exists.  If so, treat
> as a linkmap link.

I am failing to understand why this is a concern of some post process. Are you
not trying to transform one representation to another? To me, the 'linkmap.xml'
should be accessed at transformation time to transform the link.

On the linkmap: I would not like to see a list of URIs (or URLs). Is forrest
intended to be only for well established projects? That is, those projects that
have their site architecture set in stone. Should forrest be used for projects
that might need to rearrange the site structure? If it is for a new site/project
then it would be nice to be able easily move things around without having to
hand edit the linkmap to change the URI/URL string for each changed item. If you
have a linkmap like:

<folder name="docroot">
  <page id="abcd"/>
  <folder name="folder1">
    <page id="f1abc"/>
    <page id="f1bcd"/>
    <page id="f1cde"/>
    <folder name="folder11">
      <page id="f1abc"/>
      <page id="f1bcd"/>
      <page id="f1cde"/>
    </folder>
  </folder>
</folder>

After you have created this initial structure, generate the site, and then some
people look at it and determine it is not the best, usability-wise. It is
determined that folder11 would be better served as a child of the docroot. Using
a structure like the above you simply move the folder11 nodeset to be a child of
the docroot. There is no need to rewrite strings telling where these things are.
The transformation finds the ID of the item in question and recursively builds
the path as it is structured in the linkmap at time of generation. Now, I think
the objection to this is that it is too hard to understand or do recursion to
build these paths? Is that the problem?

best,
-Rob

<snip/>