forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Verbatim file copy now works also with CLI
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:42:38 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Does this mean you would favor the 'completely configurable scenario'
>> if it gets implemented?
>

> Read the last link I sent:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103735610725795&w=2
>
> And if it's not clear, I also wrote:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103735701826486&w=2
>
>  >I want this to be a possibility, but not necessarily mandated;
>  > as long as both solutions are there, it will be ok.
>  >
>  > As for the default, probably when we have a proposal, we should launch
>  > a poll for our users and a RFC to cocoon-dev to see what hey
>  > think about it.

So am I wrong when assuming your recent commits could be slightly
contradicting your positive feelings about the suggestions you are
referencing? I feel there will be quite some overlap if and when file:
gets implemented. The less alternatives we have, the less we have to
document and support. From the user's perspective, your resource-action
based solution is brain-dead simple, but I believe it complicates
matters on an implementation (and maybe also performance) level.

Just trying to better understand.

If I'm plain wrong about all this, I won't be afraid to admit so - I
just found the seminal reference to Stefano's 2-mail pattern and code
'ownership' ideas, and am feeling pretty humble about it:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=96965380200004&r=1&w=2 (long long time ago).

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org