forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Verbatim file copy now works also with CLI
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 16:41:15 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

>> Bottom line for the user: if you want Forrest to serve a file as-is,
>> put it in the content dir, and reference it from a link in any other
>> page or book.xml. If the file is html, its links will be crawled.
>

> I would like this behaviour to be restricted to a /static/ source
> directory, /static/ appearing in both source and target URI. I think
> mixing files on the filesystem, which can be interpreted as both source
> and destination is dangerous and messy.
>
> But anyway, I think we have discussed this before :(
>
> Why don't you listen, Nicola? Aren't we good enough?

steven: mho is that you should back off.  yes, i think it has
been discussed before, but no, i don't think a consensus agreed
with your personal preference.  as a *user* of forrest, rather
than a developer, i tell you three times that I prefer *nicola's*
solution over your proposition.  yours would make it very clear
on the final web site which documents were static and which not,
since afaik there would be a simple verbatim copy from your /static/
in the source tree to the build tree.  please understand: the
uri layout belongs to the *user*, not to some starry-eyed developer.

yes, the above not only sounds snarky but *is* snarky; i'm getting
rather irritated at the dominant starry-eyed purist opinions that
seem to have lost sight of the fact that *other* people are going
to be using the software.

/me is *not* in a good mood.  take the above or leave it as you wish.
all imho of course.

--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"