forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter B. West" <pbw...@powerup.com.au>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] DTD Versioning (Re: Should href be required on link)
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:56:35 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 07:47:52PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote:

>>>PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation//EN" "dtd/document-v11-3-1.dtd"
>>>PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1//EN" "dtd/document-v11-3-1.dtd"
>>>PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.1//EN" "dtd/document-v11-3-1.dtd"
>>>PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.1.3//EN" "dtd/document-v11-3-1.dtd"
>>>PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.1.3.1//EN" "dtd/document-v11-3-1.dtd"

>>Great idea to use the OASIS catalog to manage this.
>>
>>How do we cope when it gets cumbersome? How many
>>dtd revisions do we keep track of in the catalog
>>and in cvs.
>>
>>Again, catalogs to the rescue. We could have a main catalog
>>to declare the recent identifiers, then a separate catalog
>>for the old stuff. This second one would not be used by
>>default Forrest, but would be available to them if they
>>need it. We already provide ways to load other catalogs.
>

> Good idea.
>
> Might be best to wait for Steven to get back before trying this.. there
> are some unresolved issues on how DTD changes are made.
>

> --Jeff
>

>>The secondary catalog could utilise Steven's idea of
>>linking to cvs.apache.org for the systemIdentifiers.
>>
>>I know that we are using OASIS catalogs and entity resolver
>>to avoid the dependency on a network connection to get the
>>resource. However, these are way out-of-date DTDs that we
>>are talking about. If users are concerned, then they can
>>download a local copy of the old DTD and adjust their
>>OASIS catalog.

If the catalog requires a network connection, do you need it?  When
Keiron and Victor started using Forrest for FOP, they used view-cvs
checkout URIs as the system ids to access particular versions.  If the
"old stuff" has system ids that directly access the files in cvs, won't
the absence of a catalog public resolver trigger access through the
system id?

Peter
--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/