forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [rant] the difference between a community and a software
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:48:42 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:11:05AM -0800, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> [snip good stuff, except for the bit about arrogant bastards on
> forrest-dev which hits *far* too close to home:]
>

>>There is overlap between forrest and maven. Can this be reduced?
>>factored out?
>
> Is there overlap?
>
> Certainly if you read dreams.xml, you get the impression there _should_
> be overlap, but practically, I don't see any.  Forrest docs can't even
> link to Javadocs yet.  The software landscape changed since dreams.xml
> was written, and it looks like Forrest's natural place is as a plugin to
> project management systems like Maven and Centipede.  Fine with me.

Yes, fine with me too... except that Maven does it's own documentation.

The overlap is ATM on the documentation system, and in the future it
could grow. There are many projects in Apache that do basically the same
things Maven does. The changelog stuff is an Ant task, if nobody yet
understood it. And the code JXR is taken right from Alexandria, with the
package names changed.

They could work with these projects and use them in a spirit of
collaboration rather than assimilation.

*This* is where overlap occurs.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -