forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including legacy html
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:15:58 GMT
> I'd say that whoever feels that forrest is talking more time than it
> needed it has two choices:
>
>  - get dirty with it and make it faster

Don't know how.

>  - use something else

I do in most cases.

> The third choice:
>
>  - complaining about it without doing anything

The fourth choice:

- convince others that it is a problem, build a consensus and drive
action towards that effect.  You keep telling me love it or leave it.
 Maybe one day I'll leave it Stefano.  I haven't given up yet.  I just
have a lot of stuff to sort through before I can do it myself.

> is useless.
>
> Can Forrest be faster than it is today? sure. I think that with
> tweaking the sitemap and the component pools we can gain a lot of
> speed. Also I'm not sure how 'cache friendly' the Cocoon CLI is (that
> is another source of major speed gain).

That is my concern.  Its not that usable in many cases at its current speed.

> Con Forrest be faster than Anakia? hardly. Anakia doesn't even parse
> the XML. It's a text generation system. It's designed for command
> line. It's designed for unstructured data. It's designed for small
> sites. It's designed with no idea of SoC.

Okay this is the practitioner versus the achedemic here.  I don't care
about SoC if SoC means my docs come out in 10 minutes versus 1.

> In short, they are two different things that happen to have partial
> functionality overlap.

Exactly what practical thing does forrest do that Anakia doesn't other
than PDF generation?

> Andy, if you like Anakia more because it fits your needs, use that!

I usually do.   I hope one day not to have to.

> And then complain to them about the fact that it doesn't this or that,
> even if it *doesn't* very quickly :-P

Sorry to burn your holy books... But I just want it to work fast enough
to use.

-Andy