forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including legacy html
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:22:34 GMT
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> So I'd say: to do as much as is necessary (and hopefully no more) to get
> the job done, in as much time as that takes provided thats
> reasonable.  I do not believe Forrest meets this today.

I'd say that whoever feels that forrest is talking more time than it
needed it has two choices:

  - get dirty with it and make it faster

  - use something else

The third choice:

  - complaining about it without doing anything

is useless.

Can Forrest be faster than it is today? sure. I think that with tweaking
the sitemap and the component pools we can gain a lot of speed. Also I'm
not sure how 'cache friendly' the Cocoon CLI is (that is another source
of major speed gain).

Con Forrest be faster than Anakia? hardly. Anakia doesn't even parse the
XML. It's a text generation system. It's designed for command line. It's
designed for unstructured data. It's designed for small sites. It's
designed with no idea of SoC.

In short, they are two different things that happen to have partial
functionality overlap.

Andy, if you like Anakia more because it fits your needs, use that!

And then complain to them about the fact that it doesn't this or that,
even if it *doesn't* very quickly :-P